Sunday, August 24, 2008

Yummy In My Tummy

Usually I don't like making or eating soup in the summertime, but this stuff is just too good!

We've had it a couple times now and it is so easy and so worth the heat. It is a great meatless meal (something we are always looking for in trying to live the word of wisdom), it is full of yummy, healthy veggies, and the kids even eat it! Try it sometime!


Minestrone Soup

4 Tbsp butter 1 Tbsp tomato paste
¾ cup chopped onion 1 ½ cups cubed potatoes
¼ cup chopped celery 4 cups chicken broth
½ cup chopped carrots 2 cloves minced garlic
1 19 oz can cannellini beans 2 Tbsp dried parsley
½ cup shredded cabbage 1 tsp salt
1 15oz can stewed tomatoes ½ cup elbow macaroni

Melt butter in a heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots; sauté for a few minutes.
Add beans, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato paste, potato, broth, garlic, parsley, and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for approximately 1 hour until vegetables are barely tender.
Add pasta, and simmer for 30 minutes more. Correct seasoning and serve hot with grated parmesan cheese.

2 comments:

Sara said...

ooooo, I'm trying that one this week! I'm so envious of your little weekend get away. Have a blast Summer, you deserve every bit of it.

pinky said...

I love minestrone soup! Especially if it has beans in it...there is just something wonderful about beans. I look forward to trying your recipe just as soon as our weather cools down a notch...which could be very soon. I will likely substitute olive oil in place of the butter...only because I get my fair share (believe me) of butter elsewhere. So don't worry that I'm not getting enough butter fat!