Friday, August 8, 2008

Brown Paper Packages Tied Up With String...


Anyone who knows me knows I love, love, love books!!

They are close friends that are always there for me when I am feeling down. And they are new aquaintances that I am excited to get to know better.

They can make me feel happy, sad, angry, any emotion really.

And when I come to the end I am torn between being content with the ending and happy for the characters and upset that the book is done and wishing it could go on forever.

I have so many favorites I couldn't even begin to choose an ultimate favorite.

But I did put together a list of books that have served the kids, and me well over the years. Although we didn't always treat the books very well. Some are unrecoverably worn down and others have been mended several times.

-My scriptures (they are so sad looking right now, Hubby keeps telling me I should get a new set, but that's like saying I should get a new Hubby when he gets worn down!)

-"Dr Seuss's Sleep Book" (I still have some memorized...'A moose is asleep, he is dreaming of moose drinks, A goose is asleep he is dreaming of goose drinks...' CLASSIC!)

-"Pride and Prejudice" (Of course I had to add this one! Always a pick-me-up on a lousy day.)

-"Goodnight Moon" (We are actually on our second copy, the first went the way of all the earth after #1, #2 and #3 used and abused it much. It is a favorite of #4, we just recite a little bit of it and he gets ready for a nap.)

-"Caring for Your Baby and Young Child-ages birth-5 years" (We call this our "manual." Usually babies don't come with one, but #1 did! Our pediatritian gave this to us in the hospital the day she was born. What a life saver!! The cover has been torn off and several of the first few pages are missing from over use. There are subsequent volumes for different ages, but we haven't gotten around to buying those yet.)

-All the Chronicles of Narnia (but you must read them in the order they were written, not the order they come in as a set. If you want to know what the order is, just ask. We have read these several times over and listened to them as audiobook CDs in the car. Hubby and I even read them together the summer we were first married. The stories are great and the gospel parallels are very insightful and thought provoking.)

I know there are others, but really I could go on forever!

4 comments:

Sara said...

I would like to know the order the Narnia series was written. Also, I'm so surprised Goodnight Moon lasted through 3 children! Hannah destroyed her's by 2 years and we had to purchase a new one for Eden and Hyrum . . . I guess that's just Hannah now that I think of it. I love Dr. Seuss too--honestly, if all I had for the kids was Dr. Seuss I think I would be perfectly fine! One of my favorite books belongs to you!!! Thanks for lending it.

Summer said...

The original order for the Naria books is as follows:
1. "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe"
2. "Prince Caspian"
3. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader"
4. "The Silver Chair"
5. "The Horse and His Boy"
6. "The Magician's Nephew"
7. "The Last Battle"
The publishing companies have distorted it a little bit putting "The Magician's Nephew" first, as it is chronilogically, but it is a much more magical and exciting experience if read in the proper order.

pinky said...

I will never forget reading Mary Stewart's "Crystal Cave" for the first time and being so sad that it was over. I got up off of my bed and walked into the girls room and found that they had on their bookshelf "The Hollow Hills" (the second of the trilogy). Therefore, I had only a few seconds lull before beginning again. Heaven!

Carma said...

Thanks for posting the order of the Narnia books. I need to read those.