Sunday, August 10, 2008

The Nose


This time I write of my favorite smells.

My sense of smell has been quite keen throughout my life (that's why as a kid I could tell not only that someone else had been sleeping on my pillow, but I would be able to tell who that someone was).

But it has also served me well in helping to create memories that I can associate with smells. After all, isn't the part of the brain that is connected to smell right next to the part that is connected to memory? Am I just making that up?

Anyhow, here are a few:

~Mom's lemon perfume. I can't remember the name, but it is a soothing smell for obvious reasons.

~A summer rainstorm. Particularly those that remind me of summers on the farm. It is just delicious!

~The smell of Christmas. All things associated with it: pies, Christmas trees, spices, homemade fudge.

~Eucalyptus. There was a huge basket of it under the piano at the home I grew up in. So it always reminds me of home. I have a eucalyptus wreath hanging over our piano now. The smell of the two together is wonderful.

~A newborn baby. Maybe the most wonderful smell in the world. Or maybe I am just nostalgic for those days with a newborn that seemed so crazy and, yet, are nothing compared to life with a toddler (yikes!)


2 comments:

Christine Bushman said...

i totally agree with favortie smells.
Christmas smells: I could smell the fresh bread and fudge coming from my grandma's house from my parents house ( we didn't live far from them..think half way from my house to the church)
rain storms-- LOVE IT how everything is just YUMMO. we lived in northern AZ before here. The smell of wet pine trees was soo YUMMO
Newbabies--I still put baby lotion on Justice..yes he is almost 2 but still! I can still do that to him without complaining

Sara said...

I agree with Chris--I put baby lotion on Hyrum for the same reasons you two have mentioned. I LOVE the smell of new babies. Aside from the pregnancy recovery, which isn't so bad I guess, I love everything about new babies. I love getting up with them 4 times a night only because I know there is an and to it all some time! I love it all. Hey, you wanna come and remember those days the next time we get a new baby?!