Friday, July 18, 2008

Confessions of a Serial Organizer

The kids woke up yesterday morning calm and happy. #3 quietly asked if he could have scrambled eggs for breakfast. I thought sure, he asked politely and I don't usually cook for breakfast on weekdays, so I can be nice this time. I asked all the kids if that was what they wanted and mentally pictured #4 being able to eat this meal as well. And, hey, I didn't have to make 5 different breakfasts and deal with anyone complaining that they don't like any of those cereals.


I got out the bowl and the eggs, the pan and the butter, the bread (for the toast) and the kiwi fruits and oranges (what a well balanced meal!). Since cracking eggs is somewhat a mundane task I was able to do it without thinking much. Perhaps I was mentally writing a blog. In any case I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, when I look down and saw this:



Notice the beautiful symmetry! Apparently I organize subconsciously. How efficient of me.

2 comments:

Jon and Chelle said...

There could be worse things than being a subconscious organizer...Do you have any recommendations for me, on how to organize all my oooold college junk? Papers, books, stuff that I spent a lot of time on and don't have the heart to throw out because I think that someday I might go to grad school...if you think of anything, you are totally hired!

jlbunting.com said...

throw out the books - don't need those for grad school (at least I didn't, I don't know what your program is). If you have a stack of papers you want to keep, get them bound together. I did that with mine and it's fun to look back and see what I did while I was in college. But I only kept the stuff from undergrad, there's nothing interesting from my MBA that I would want to keep and the professors don't write cool comments like they did at BYU (I know you didn't ask me but I wanted to share anyway because I am a serial organizer too)