Monday, September 15, 2008

You Are My Friend

I am missing Mister Rogers. Where am I going to get that good feeling about myself that I need so often? Watching him was like having a therapy session the way I always felt so calm and happy about me afterward.

I don't want a world where we can't watch Mister Rogers' Neighborhood on PBS. It saddens me that there are some people out there who don't appreciate him and his advice, knowledge, and understanding ways. That they think all these other dumb shows are worth more than the affirming, loving, musical, simple teachings of my friend Fred.

And even though my kids have seen so little of him, they know who he is, they know his songs (we sing a few of them around here), and they know there was once a man who appreciated children for who they are.

5 comments:

Christine Bushman said...

they took off Mr. Roger's becuase he died on Feb 27, 2003 at the age of 74.
He did a lot of great things in his life. He was a navy seal. He had a bunch of tatoos, that's why he wore sweaters on the show. He played the paino and was also a minster. There is more, that he did, but that is all that sticks out in my head.
You could 'google' him for more, if you want to

dastew said...

I always found Mr. Roger scary. Probably just me. I think it was the puppets that freaked me out.

Christine Bushman said...

so I was worng with my information.
he didn't serve as a navy seal or have tatoos.

he wore sweaters as a sign of being formal on the TV set.

he was just an all around good guy!

April Fossen said...

If they made a boxed set of DVD's of episodes of his show, I would buy it and watch an episode every day. At the very least they should release a DVD of all the operas they did in the Neighborhood of Make Believe.

pinky said...

Amen to your entry for today. I shall always remember the day I saw him in person. Undoubtedly there are many others who have requested DVD's, but perhaps I shall try contacting his widow to add to her list of those who long for such a possibility.