Friday, September 26, 2008

My Laundry Room


I have a dream...

Of a grand and beautiful laundry room with windows, and shelves, and baskets, and a deep sink, and a large table in the middle for folding, even an ironing board that I don't have to put away (maybe that's my problem with ironing!)

But that is just a dream...someday...maybe.

Right now I have a 5x5 room. But I still love it. Doing laundry has got to be my favorite chore. Especially when I can stand in the room, all the clothes sorted into piles around me, good clean smells filling the place, the washing machine going at full blast while I stain spray ALL the kids clothes. With all the noise from the washing machine other noises are drowned out and I can sing at the top of my lungs without anyone caring whether or not I hit that note. I am in my own little world.

I don't even like it when Hubby does the laundry (he does it in this very interesting way!)
I have made my laundry room beautiful so I can enjoy being in there more.
When I was pregnant with #4, I needed a place to get away. I chose the laundry room. I sat in there for hours...on the top of a ladder. I painted a clothesline with hanging clothes. (I took pictures when it was done, but I can't find them, and I am too lazy to take more, so if you want to see it, come on over!)

I also have my first oil painting (shoes) hanging and the comic strip I posted above (which is scary how true it is) to remind myself why I am doing so much laundry, whenever I start to complain.

It isn't huge and spacious and there certainly are no windows, and no room for any more baskets or shelves (let alone a table), but it continues to serve as a sanctuary.

5 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, I love that post Summer. I dream of a big, beautiful, cottagey laudry room someday. Right now, I like doing laundry, but HATE it because I have a hallway to sort things in and a living room to drag it all out to. I'd go for a 5X5 any day! I love the comic . . . it's sooooo true! I want to hear more about your dreams; I'm in a dreaming mode these days!

dastew said...

Wife hates it when I do the laundry too. something about bras needing to be washed with delicates? I don't get it frankly. If it's in the hamper it should get washed like everything else. If it's special needs clothing, don't put it in the hamper

Roy said...

Stew, as uncomfortable as I am referring to my sister's underclothing, I must give you a heart "amen!" My rule is "don't buy clothes that can't get washed with everything else." No hand-wash, line-dry, dry clean only crap. thanks; I had to get that off my chest...

ma turner said...

Interesting post. After being dryer-less for 2 weeks, I finally convinced the repairman to come over and take a look. Maybe I should become an appliance repair person. He was here for 10 minutes and replaced a fuse. $17.00
His labor came to $70.00. It is good to have the dryer working again, though.

Kristin said...

This summer I went walking almost every morning on a beautiful path by the Jordan River. It was a popular place to walk. Every time I walked by two women talking or they walked by me-what do you think they were talking about? I'll tell you-Laundry! I guess before you are married you talk about men and after you are married you talk about laundry. This is it for me- I don't want to talk about it ever again.