Sunday, September 21, 2008

What's In A Name?

When I was growing up I was endlessly teased for my name (by kids at school and brothers and sisters at home). Because I hated that so much I ended up not liking my name (which I am sure made my parents feel bad now that I know how much time, thought and love goes into naming a child). It was too unique, too different. I never even knew another Summer until high school.
My plan was to change my name when I turned 18. I never did figure out what I would have changed it too.
As it turns out I like being the only Summer around. In fact it was a pain when I was in a ward at BYU with another Summer (I even visit taught her).
I think I grew to like being unique in name and person.
.

2 comments:

pinky said...

I am glad.

Bill said...

I certainly don't remember doing any teasing. I've actually always liked your name and I'm glad you didn't go through with changing it.

But of course, as I've learned from watching my own kids, no matter how stupid we (I) behave(d) as children (or even as adults), someone younger doesn't have that perspective and may not see it as just childish ignorance.