Thursday, September 18, 2008

Okay, So I'm A Little Selfish


I am. There is no denying it any longer. I want things a certain way, for my convienence. I discovered this the other day at the dentist when I was upset that my regular hygenist wasn't there and it turns out she is pregnant and only working one day a week. Yeah for her, but come on, what's up with that? Instead I got stuck with the worst hygenist ever (who tore up my gums like you wouldn't believe-I still have scars!).

I will also put the kids to bed early when I just can't stand it any longer. They may not go to sleep right away (okay, they never do), but they are out of my hair and I can finally hear myself think!

I dislike giving up the radio in the car. Do you know how many times this week I was forced to listen to one of the "Magic Tree House" books on CD? Too many! Granted I did give each of the kids a specific time of day that they could choose what we listened to, but I just wanted to pull my hair out listening to those innane stories. I don't recommend them.

I am also very selfish about my time with the kids. I sometimes wish the boys didn't want to spend all day playing "Lego Racers" with Hubby. Why don't they want to do something with me?

Most of all I am selfish of my time with Hubby. I loved it when he got the full-time gig with a real office to do his work in rather than bringing it home just to ignore me (although he still sometimes had to bring work home). And when I am on the phone with him, oh, watch out! I will not tolerate noise of any kind.

Sorry that you have to occasionally get a glimpse into the negative side of me. Maybe someday I will have the wisdom and strength to put off my "natural [wo]man."

2 comments:

Bill said...

Yep, we put the kids to bed early tonight because of the noise, noise, noise, noise, noise! They were whining and fighting, then playing and getting hurt. So we fed them and read them stories to knock them out.

Sara said...

Thank Summer . . . that makes me feel like it's okay to be selfish once in a while too. I think you had some good reasons to be selfish--my dear; you WANT to spend time with your kids, you WANT to have time with your man, you WANT to have time to refresh (to feel like a sane person in your duties--and it's not bad to put the kids to be early, it's healthy, even if they don't fall asleep right way), you WANT to listne to music that makes you feel good--hey, I can't fight that, it do it all the time too. That's not so bad, is it? You want good things, at least those things aren't defiling you--they probably make you a well rounded better person. That's just my optimistic view of YOU!