Sunday, September 7, 2008

Harry Potter Is My Hero


I avoided reading any Harry Potter books for years. I thought it was ridiculous, and suspicious, the way everyone took to them so quickly and ate them up like they were gorging.

I saw the movies, yes, but casually (not in the theaters or even the dollar theaters). Hubby and I would rent them or borrow them from the library. I thought they were pretty good. I didn't see what was so great about them. And I couldn't imagine 7 (well, now 8) movies coming from this series!

But last year I took a children's literature course (I know, I know, I talk about this course ALL the time to EVERYONE, so if you are sick of hearing about it, OH, WELL! it was the BEST course I EVER took [and that's a lot of capital letters]) which changed my opinions about a lot of things.

I was required to read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone for the class. I did it grumbling a little, and sceptically reading everything. But I grew to love the story, the message, the characters, and the phenomenon that is Harry Potter.

I went on to read it with the kids. And from there reading the whole series (this was after all 7 were published so I had them all at my fingertips and didn't have to wait for the next one.)

The story was spectacular! The fantasy amazing! The characters endearing (or easy to hate depending on who they are)! My emotions were a rollercoaster (I even threw the 6th to the floor when I finished it at 2am and vowed not to read the 7th!) I was amazed to learn that JK Rowling had the WHOLE story figured out from the beginning. It was intresting and complex. The way the books weaved together was beautiful. The good vs evil plot will never get old because that was life is about. We relish in the fact that it is more obvious (more physical in nature) in literature though; that almost makes it a little easier to deal with than our own spiritual struggles.

I appreciated (as all C.S. Lewis fans do) the gospel related aspects (righteous vs evil, resurrection, love, sacrifice, change and repentance). These will always ring true.

But what I think I admire most about the series is the way it changed children's literature.

It was a surge of life for a dying area of literature. Children just weren't reading the way they used to. Harry Potter made children WANT to read, like they never read before (10 year olds reading 500+ page books!)

Before Harry Potter children were most likely to read realistic fiction books. Stories that are true to life were more appealing. Children (and adults) need to know they are normal and that their circumstances, situations, desires, feelings, trials, etc. are similar to others'. And realistic stories gave us all that confidence and normality (come on, who didn't feel better about themselves after reading about Ramona Quimby?)

Now, children seem to be more likely to prefer fantasy. And who wouldn't in our world today. I don't want to read about real life anymore. After dealing with nonsense around me all day long I want an escape to a world where things can be cleaned up. A world different from our own with strange people, strange animals, new languages, new rules. It is an adventure and a relief.

Harry Potter paved the way for other fantasy stories. If you've read the Twilight series (which I haven't), that probably wouldn't be around if not for our favorite wizard.

The birth of Harry Potter was an important event for the world of literature. I hope you have read them and seen that we all need a little Harry Potter in our lives.

6 comments:

Sara said...

I haven't read that series, but it's next on my list. thank you for inspiring me to leave "my" world for awhile!

April Fossen said...

I have only read Twilight, none of the others, but I'll be interested to hear your opinion if/when you read any of them. Whenever I spout off, Mark tells me that, if nothing else (and like Harry Potter), the Twilight series is bringing people into bookstores, which can never be a bad thing.

Melanie said...

I'm sorry, eight?? There can't be another one!! I was like you and fought the pressure to read Harry Potter for a few years and then finally gave in and read them and fell in love with Harry Potter.

But then I got really dark on the whole thing when Rowling came out after the fact with her revelation about Dumbeldore. That completely annoyed me but I still like the books and movies and all the positive messages and influence they've had- just don't like the author anymore.

Wife of dastew said...

I am just on the third book for the first time. I never wanted to read them until I finally got bored enough with my usual reading fare. And it is nice that I won't have to wait for the next one to come out as they are all sitting in my office. Now I just need to find more time to sit and read.

jlbunting.com said...

I read Harry Potter and enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't really get into fantasy books and obsess like a lot of people do. I read Twilight also because last summer I was staying with my in-laws and fantasy books or stock market books were all they have in their house (14-year old girl and her parents). It was fine, but again, no obsession on my part, haven't read the newest one yet. I wasn't really drawn into them like everyone seems to be. I don't really get how that happens. I am curious to hear some spouting from April just to see if I feel the same way she does about the books. Ramona Quimby is still my all-time favorite, along with Morris the Moose, Little Bear, Frog and Toad, and Amelia Bedilia.

Natalie said...

I love me some Harry Potter too. Though I got on the bandwagon too early and my husband even pre-ordered the last book. I was suckered into Twilight too- but not impressed. Not even close to the caliber of writing that Rowling has.
I have heard of your literature class- and I want to hear more! I'd love to see the list of books you read- or could choose to read.