Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Best Medicine

Recently Boyfriend introduced me to a blog called 1000 Awesome Things. Not long ago there was an entry about crying, as an awesome thing to do...makes you feel better, relieves tension, etc. Apparently women cry an average of 5 or more times a month!!! Am I just emotionally stunted? I haven't had a good cry for over a year! (Last time we had a fight to be precise.) Sure things well-up once in a while (good books, good movies, being moved by the Spirit) but to actually let tears flow? It has to be big.

At least now. When I was a teenager I sometimes forced myself to cry (well, bawl really) when I was feeling stressed. And back then, just about anything would do it, too. A sad movie, a song, I was pretty sappy once in my life. And it worked. I would feel so much better so I can understand the good and relief that comes from crying.

But now? I certainly don't feel pent up. And it's not that I am never stressed anymore. Goodness, no!

But I think I know of a better cure. It is more relieving and more awesome than crying.... Laughing!

I love it and I realize I do it ALL the time (wow, did I ever really laugh as a teenager now that I think about it? Okay there were a couple of car trips with Mom and Sister #1...)

Boyfriend and I make each other laugh constantly (and sometimes we make ourselves laugh too!)

Laughter is more joyful and engages the whole body (when you do it well). Sometimes you just ache after laughing so much. Humor makes you think. Laughter makes you feel better afterwards (which is WAY better than the wallowing that is crying).

Humor and laughter make you more of a positive person and help you look at life in a humorous way. It makes you smile more.




AWESOME.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Plus, it burns more calories.

pinky said...

Actually, shivering burns more calories than laughing or crying, but I hate shivering. Laughter is the best, I quite agree. Crying jags often leave me with a headache, although they apparently release toxins and leave you with a sense of well-being - there has to be really something earth shaking going on to warrant the effort.