Sunday, November 16, 2008

Nostalgia-The Food Edition

I have had a busy and crazy week this week (thus the lack of posting). So to make myself feel a little better I let myself indulge in a couple of food items that remind me of my childhood.
First let me tell you that I am not really enjoying food right now. Maybe it is because I have tricked my mind into not craving food so much. Maybe it's because I have to record and keep track of and report what I eat. Maybe because of the HUGE guilt factor if I do eat something that is high in fat or calories. Whatever the reason food and cooking are just a burden I would rather forgo.

But, growing up in my family, well, lets just say things revolved around food. As many occasions do where we gather with family, friends, ward members, etc. There is usually a treat, a meal, a cake, an excuse to get together and share good times. I loved when my older brothers and sisters, their spouses and children would come to my home (the grandparents house) and enjoy games, laughter and food. So that food took on meaning to me. Well, maybe that's enough self-disclosure about my food issues.

Anyway, I treated myself to a few memorable foods this weekend.

1. Artichokes- I know they are not really in season. But I wanted a yummy vegetable for a nice dinner with Boyfriend after the kids were in bed. And I love that I can boast that I know how to cook and eat an artichoke. It isn't easy, but totally worth all the work.
I know what you are thinking "a vegetable as a treat?" Come over and I'll make one for you sometime and you'll see!

2. Toasted Bologna Sandwich- Not in the least healthy. And I usually hate bologna. My mom used to make these for me when I was a little girl (I think her piano teacher made them for her), so they bring back memories and comfort. I taught #3 how to make them and he loved them too.
3. Chex Mix- Not the icky stuff the sell at the store. The real stuff you make yourself with Worchestershire sauce and butter and yummy spices. Dad would make this every Christmas. The smell and the taste (along with the Christmas music playing in the background) really got me in the mood for Christmas. Just watch those calories! (sigh)

2 comments:

Sara said...

Oh, my those first two are favorites of mine and the last, I haven't tried but would probably love too. I was just thinking today, when I saw you teaching, that you looked amazing and was admiring your self control with the diet you're pursuing. It's nice to hear you indulged a little still.

Melanie said...

Artichokes are a treat for me too - an Easter tradition we inherited from my parents. So good!